Brid Town AFC v Silsden 29/02 Match Report 1

Bridlington Town AFC faced Silsden over the weekend with hopes of grabbing all 3 points with only 3 matches going ahead in the league. 

Brief match report from Brid Town Website. HT Score: 0-1, FT Score: 2-2.
(Bridlington Town) Scorers: Joe McFadyen 65 pen, Thomas Waudby 86
(Silsden) Scorers: Jake Taylor-Mountford 34 pen, Laurence Surhaindo 80

Attendance: 200

With only three fixtures being completed in the NCEL, Bridlington Town were unable to take full advantage of three of the teams above them having no game and had to settle for one point after twice coming from behind. Silsden had already won at the Hudgell Solicitors Stadium this season in the League Cup and were hopeful of repeating the performance. The game was played in a blustery wind and was, perhaps, not the spectacle that the two hundred spectators were expecting.

There was a minute’s silence before the kick-off in respect to Town supporter David “Moggie” Brown who sadly passed away last Sunday. Once the action started Jake Taylor-Mountford bore down on the home goal before being halted by a timely tackle from Fraser Papprill then following a Town free kick from the right, given for a foul on Lewis Dennison, Papprill’s effort was cleared off the line. Another foul on Dennison on the edge of the area resulted in a caution for Connor Thompson, but from the free kick the ball ended safely in the hands of goalkeeper Ben Higginson. Chris Jenkinson tried his luck from thirty-five yards but cleared the bar.

Just past the half hour referee Neil Howlett awarded a dubious penalty to Silsden after adjudging that Dennison had committed an offence in the area although he appeared to have taken the ball cleanly and there were no appeals from the visitors. Taylor-Mountford stepped up to drive the kick past James Hitchcock. Silsden almost doubled their lead when Mr. Howlett failed to spot a handball in the build-up and Town, despite creating several opportunities went into half time trailing by the one goal.

Stuart Oliver was booked for foul ten minute into the second half then Town made a double substitution to shake things up. Joseph Mitchell tested Hitchcock from twenty-five yards and Dennison also tried from distance with his attempt going just wide of the target. With twenty minutes of the half gone Dennison went on a run into the Silsden penalty area and as he went to ground from the attention of two defenders a penalty was awarded to even things up. Joe McFadyen converted the kick to take his season’s goal tally to sixteen.
Both sides made substitutions and despite Town doing the majority of the pressing, they conceded the ball in the Silsden half and subsequently another goal when it was played through for Laurence Surhaindo to fire across Hitchcock into the far corner with ten minutes remaining. Five minutes later substitute Mark Hutchinson was brought down on the edge of the ‘D’ and Tom Waudby hit the resultant free kick past Higginson into the top corner of the net. Silsden almost nicked it at the death when Surhaindo chipped the ball over Hitchcock but it hit the top of the bar and dropped down for Jenkinson to clear.

Jon Tindall builder man of the match: Lewis Dennison

Lineup & Referee:

Bridlington Town: Hitchcock, Dennison, Lewis (c) (W. Waudby (57), Oliver, Jenkinson, Papprill, Taylor (Hutchinson 74), T. Waudby, Logan, McFadyen, Adams (Broadley 57)
Unused substitute: Bulless

Silsden: Higginson, Foley, Thompson, Kaine (c), Illingworth, Hudson (McKiernon 89), Barnes, Mitchell, Surhaindo, Shazad (Everingham 63), Taylor-Mountford (Wademan 75)
Unused substitutes: Britton, Fox

Referee: Neil Howlett